skip navigation

Danielson, Squires lead Hudson to 7-1 win in quarters

By Michael Trzinski, WiPH Staff, 03/01/18, 1:00PM CST


Raiders hold 37-10 shot edge

Hudson got two goals each from Aaron Squires and Cole Danielson as they eased to a 7-1 win over first-time participant Fond du Lac St. Mary's Springs.

The Raiders got on the board first with just over six minutes left in the period.

Danielson grabbed a rebound in the high slot and fired it back past Springs goalie Colin Ahern. Jack Flattum had an assist on the play.

Hudson made it 2-0 just over three minutes later when Bennett Schrank gathered up a pass from behind the net and beat the goalie for the two-goal lead. Grady Gornick and Squires had helpers on the score.

The period ended with the 2-0 lead, and Hudson holding a 16-2 shot edge.

The Raiders pushed the advantage to 4-0 with two goals in a span of 29 seconds early in the second period.

First, Joe Martin put back a rebound from the low left side, and then Squires scored when he came down the left side and loosed a shot from the top of the left circle that beat Ahern on the glove side. 

Five minutes later, the Raiders increased their margin to 5-0. Squires came down the right side on a 2-on-1 and kept the puck, sending a shot from the right circle that beat the netminder.

After matching penalties with four minutes left, Springs got on the scoreboard.

Justin Schwartzmiller sent a pass out in front and Dawson Sarauer made it count, beating Hudson goalie AJ Cohen. The score came with 3:30 left.

The Raiders almost got to six with a couple minutes left, but a goal was disallowed because it was judged to be kicked in.

Cohen had three saves in the period, while Ahern stopped nine on his end.

Early in the third, Ahern made a couple nice stops on a 2-on-1 and then a breakaway by Dylan Carr in the first six minutes.

Hudson increased the lead to 6-1 midway through the period when Carter Maack skated in from the left point and launched a shot from the left circle that went in.

WiPH Game Summaries

Zach Welsch had a chance for Springs on a breakaway, but he airmailed a shot from the slot that banged harmlessly off the back glass with under six minutes left.

Danielson scored his second goal and sent the game to run-time with 3:44 left when he came down the right side and bounced a shot off the goalie and followed up with a tap-in rebound to make it 7-1. Cohen got an assist on the power play goal.

Cohen had four saves in the period, finishing with nine in the game. Ahern stopped seven pucks and ended with a game total of 30.

Hudson advances to Semifinal Friday, where they will play the winner of the Verona-Notre Dame contest.