skip navigation

Berg, McKersie lead Lynx past Onalaska

By Mike McKersie, Metro Lynx parent, 02/17/18, 7:30AM CST


Metro Lynx moves on with 3-1 win

The Lynx came out hard in the first, putting 19 shots on the Hilltoppers goalie, Claire Bekkum. Bekkum was solid and the Lynx were only able to get one by her early in the first.

The Lynx fired a shot at Bekkum, who made the first save but the rebound couldn’t be corralled. The puck popped out to the back side where Lynx freshman Giavanna Accomando was waiting and able to bang home the rebound.

The Hilltoppers added their own pressure. The line combination of Emily Brueggeman, Chloe Strain and Lexi Hutchinson controlled play in the Lynx zone for extended periods. They generated several great scoring opportunities only to be denied by senior Lynx goaltender Sydney McKersie. McKersie turned aside multiple odd man rushes, partial breakaways and one series where she made four saves on a scramble in front. Her play in the first helped the Lynx cling to a 1—0 lead.

In the second, the Lynx team defense was fantastic. Led by defensemen Mac Bakken, Ally Conybear, Jenna Culp and Josie Dragoo, they only allowed the Hilltoppers one shot on net. The Hilltoppers defense responded as well only letting four shots by the Lynx get through to Bekkum.

The best scoring opportunity was generated by the Hilltoppers Jaidyn Groshek with about three minutes left in the second. She was killing a penalty and caused a turnover. She drove wide around the Lynx defender and walked in on McKersie pulling the puck to the far side and shooting. McKersie stayed right with her and Groshek’s attempt missed. The period ended with the Lynx still hanging on to a 1-0 lead.

In the third period, Onalaska generated several great scoring opportunities. The first was a 3 on 1 rush with about 11:30 left in the game. They got off a shot and a rebound attempt but McKersie turned aside both and covered the puck for a whistle.

Four minutes later the Hilltoppers Groshek got a great shot off in the slot and McKersie again turned it and the rebound attempt aside finally covering the puck to end the play.

WiPH Game Summaries

With 6 ½ minutes left, Ally Conybear was whistled for a roughing penalty. The Lynx had just killed it off when Onalaska’s Emma Tryggestad took a shot from the point. McKersie made the first save, but Kaley Manglitz was there to finally chip a rebound past McKersie tying the game at 1-1.

The Hilltoppers continued to pressure the Lynx when Manglitz got a partial breakaway down the right side firing a high shot that McKersie gloved.

Just a minute later the Lynx were able to get some pressure in the Onalaska zone. The puck kicked out to the Lynx  freshman defenseman Jenna Culp, who wristed a shot towards the net. It found its way through traffic beating Bekkum to the glove side and putting the Lynx up 2-1.

The Hilltoppers would not go away easy. Their best scoring chance came with only 1 and ½ minutes left. Tryggestad took a shot came from the left side and McKersie made the first save but a scramble was on. The puck popped out to the back door to a waiting Manglitz who shot it at the open net. However, McKersie made a desperation diving save where she was able to get the paddle of her stick on the puck.

Onalaska regrouped and came back at the Lynx. With 54 seconds left, a Hilltopper’s player gathered the puck in the slot and fired a shot that McKersie denied and cover the rebound for a whistle.

With 45 seconds left, Onalaska was able to get their goalie off for the extra attacker. However, the Lynx were able to control the play and junior Sierra Berg capped off the night with an empty net goal with eight seconds left. Groshek finished the game with 29 saves and McKersie with 19.