skip navigation

Bulldogs Strike Late in 4-2 Win Over Brookfield

By Mollie Cook, 02/08/14, 9:15PM CST


This Saturday, the Cedarburg Bulldogs headed to the Ponds of Brookfield to take on the Brookfield/CMH Stars in a Section 8 matchup. The Bulldogs struck late and got themselves a 4-2 win over Brookfield.

Both teams took a few minutes to find their rhythm, but Cedarburg got the first advantage of the game after an elbowing call on Leo Spanuello two minutes and 49 seconds in to the period.

Nick Martin was able to find the twine and put the Bulldogs on the board for the first time that evening less than a minute into the powerplay. Taylor Curtis passed the puck from the top of the right circle to Martin, who was waiting on the left side of the net to take his shot. Mason Etter also earned an assist on the play.

The Stars had the next opportunity with an advantage when Etter headed to the box on an interference call with 8:26 left in the period. Brookfield had several scoring opportunities, but they couldn’t capitalize, letting Martin slip past the defensemen for a shorthanded opportunity that hit the pipe towards the end of the powerplay.

Brookfield had several quality opportunities after then, making use of their time in the zone, although Cedarburg controlled the puck for the majority of the first period.

Robby Fosdick was sent to the sin bin to serve his two minutes next, called for tripping with 1:35 left in the first. The Bulldogs looked to extend their lead with the advantage, but Stars goaltender JJ Murnane remained strong in net and didn’t let up despite the disadvantage.

While Cedarburg took the ice in the second period still on the advantage, Brookfield forwards Nate Mikelonis and Riley Keays came out with added speed, finding several opportunities in the first minutes that Bulldog netminder Matt McCoy kept from crossing the goal line.

With the momentum tilting in Brookfield’s favor, Patrick McKnight rifled a shot from the mid-slot to tie up the game with 5:32 left in the second. Keays earned the single assist on the goal.

The rest of the second found lots of end-to-end action that continued into the third period.

Keays drove the puck into the Cedarburg zone and shot the puck through McCoy’s five-hole with 9:46 left on the clock to give Brookfield the lead for the first time in the game.

Martin headed to the box a short 16 seconds later on a slashing call that gave the Stars an opportunity to extend their lead. They couldn’t quite find the back of the net, and Cedarburg got the next advantage when Fosdick was called for tripping with 5:42 to play.

The Bulldogs took their time setting up the play; and on Etter’s fourth shot of the powerplay, the puck snuck through traffic and into the back of the net with just five seconds left on the advantage. Curtis and Martin had the assists on the goal that tied the game at two.

Cedarburg went on the powerplay again shortly after:  this time Nate Mikelonis for hooking.

With 1:57 left to play, Etter passed the puck from the left point to Curtis, who was waiting at the bottom of the right circle. He took a shot that went post-in to take the lead once again.

Murnane headed off the ice with just over 40 seconds to play to give the Stars an extra attacker.

Tyler Fisher sank the empty net goal that ensured Cedarburg’s 4-2 win over Brookfield.

WiPH Game Summaries